Literally Shepton short story and playwright competition
Everyone has a story, be it funny, sad, scary, uplifting or more often than not all of these things. Stories are central to us humans and are passed down through the ages. Literally Shepton wants to hear your stories and help celebrate the talent that is out there, be it in Shepton Mallet itself or the wider world. We will be running four categories in our writing competition this year as follows:
- For ages up to 8 years – maximum 500 word limit
- For ages 9 to 16 years – up to 1000 words (these 2 categories can be handwritten or typed)
- Over 16 years – (2,000 word limit)
All winners will receive a trophy/medals plus prizes.
Playwright – an award for the Bard of Shepton
4. A 10 minute 2 person play or monologue
The new Bard of Shepton will be crowned on Saturday 13th November with The winner will receive the special Bard of Shepton coveted title for 1 year, and trophy.
Closing date: Sunday 7th November 2021 (midnight) and submit to: email@example.com
Rules of entry
- Entry is free
- There is no theme but if you can mention Shepton Mallet, somewhere in the story, surely bonus points will be given.
Shepton Mallet has lots of interesting things about it, from a Snowdrop festival to the Prison which was built back in 1610. From the fabulous Collett Park, to the funky Lido, to the rich Roman history and close links to Glastonbury Festival, it’s the home of Babysham and numerous cider breweries.
- Entries should not have been previously published.
- One entry per author – include story/ play title plus a name and contact details on the front sheet only with word count and category of entry
- Include the story title and page number on each page of the entry
- Copyright remains with the author but prize winners must give permission to include the work on Literally Shepton website for a period of up to twelve months and for inclusion in a future planned Shepton Stories anthology.
- Emailed submissions only (if that’s an issue for you contact us)
- Results will be available on the Literally Shepton website after the festival. Winners will be notified individually.
- For the Bard of Shepton competition – monologues/or maximum 2 characters.
- Closing date for all entries is Sunday 7th November 2021 (midnight) and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email relating to the category of the competition you are entering.